Wednesday, September 17, 2008

A blog...& Ike

Well, in an attempt to keep up w/my computer savvy pals, I am venturing into the blogging world. 90% of me wonders what is so interesting about my life that I should do this. The scrapbooker in me (especially the new found love of digital scrapping), however, is intrigued with the possibilities this opens up even if I'm the only one who reads it! Rather than hearing something funny J or T might say or fun, crazy, rough things we might go through and trying to remind myself I should write it down...then forgetting...I can hopefully type it into the blog to keep a sort of digital scrapbook resource for myself :) Seeing as how I'm on the computer much more these days, it seems a natural direction to head. We'll see how it goes! If I write about other family and friends, nicknames will be given to protect their privacy.


Now, on to some actual news for my first blog entry! Ike...oh Ike...it's been not such a treat meeting you! Friday, we were watching him arrive on The Weather Channel...early Saturday he had arrived in Lufkin. Power was out by 6:45am and winds were blowing (my attempt at photographing the east winds towards the early part of the storm in pic below).
J was "hunkered down" (a now very familiar yet still very funny term!) in the video closet under the stairs w/his battery powered DVD player, T was sitting in the hall by the closet to keep J company and I was on the porch snapping photos!
yes, I did sit in the closet a few times b/c the wind was a bit scary, but we made it just fine. We had a lot of small branches down, but no trees thankfully. Many of our friends in town did not fare so well, trees were down in yards, on houses, across streets, power lines down and power out all over. This pic is during the earlier part of the storm...pine tree across the street.


T helped our friend Escilito w/downed trees and branches in their yard Sunday afternoon, while J enjoyed their generator-run playstation w/his pal Indiana D at their home, this was the highlight of his weekend! Boys and their toys...no matter the age!
All in all it was quite an eventful, although dark, weekend...our power was finally restored late yesterday afternoon so we are excited. School is out through Monday, however, b/c of power, some still used as shelters, etc... so the kids are loving it! My friend in Ohio called Sunday reporting she was getting 50mph gusts of wind and had no power b/c of Ike...how crazy is that?!



We are thinking about & praying for our friends who are still not able to go home in other parts of Texas and for our friends in Lufkin & other areas who have damage to their homes. Call us if you are around town and need help cutting up trees, T is ready to help again this weekend.

No comments: