I've had a lot on my mind lately and I think it's time to write it down. Why these things are on my mind doesn't really matter anymore, what matters is I think God wants me to let go and share what He is teaching me. Albeit I'm a slow learner, I have to think things through and sometimes I jump the gun, but He is so gracious!
My family has been attending a church here in town now for almost 10 years. Over most of those years, our pastor has been preaching freedom...
~freedom from legalism (which I didn't really grow up in but it still finds it's way in my thoughts occasionally),
~freedom to follow Jesus and only Jesus,
~freedom to let go of the politics of religion or what our friends believe,
~freedom to realize it's not about us and be ok with that,
~freedom to let go of the "I have to do this or raise my kids not doing that, etc... to be considered a "good" Christian, (this one can get really hard when homeschooling...a whole 'nutha set of standards can come into play),
~freedom from being the "good Christian girl" and just be His girl,
basically it's freedom in Christ.
It's a beautiful thing, the most beautiful thing in the life of a believer I think. It's sometimes very hard, though, because we are all very opinionated and let's face it...we like to be heard. Hello, my name is Heather, and when I speak, people should listen and agree! Sound like freedom? Maybe of speech but for people's hearts? Not so much. Guilty as charged.
We all have such a human perspective of things, even "Godly", Christian things. We who are believers think God is on "our" side when we are say...against the "gay agenda" or left-wing liberals OR if we are on the opposite side when we are against right-wing conservatives or the "pro-life" movement or what have you. (Yes, there are true believers on both sides).
Here's the problem...we are taking His words and claiming we know exactly what He means in every situation. We then add "but I'm doing the Lords work" (sometimes pushing that belief onto others...I'm tired of stepping on my own toes here!). And don't get me wrong, if the Holy Spirit prompts you into action in any situation or "fight" (political or not) then obey of course, but we shouldn't condemn others for not following what we are doing. And on the opposite side, we shouldn't feel like we have to justify our actions to others because it's not what they would do or believe is right. Just because you are surrounded by other believers doesn't mean God is calling them to the same thing. That's the beauty of breaking out of legalism...we can do what He wants us to regardless of what other people think is "right" or wrong. That's hard, too because we want our friends to support us, like us, keep being our friends, we want to be seen as equals. Hurts when you don't feel you are.
Here's what I am learning (thanks to my bible and my church)...God is not for US or against US (Joshua 5:13-14). He is always WITH us but He is for himself. He doesn't need us, He WANTS us and loves us just as we are. All of us. His plans will continue with or without us. We all have our sins, we all have our hypocrisies even if they don't seem "big"...gluttony is just as sinful as any, sneaking my water into the theater is just as sinful as any (yea...ouch, I hate paying the million dollar price for what should be free water!!) but those don't seem to be condemned as much by "Christians" as other sins do they? (Myself included!)
It's so much easier to tell people how wrong they are if they murder, if a man marries a man, if a young girl aborts her baby, if I continue to support Komen even though they provide money to Planned Parenthood...getting the picture?
And on the opposite side, it's so much easier to tell others they are too legalistic, too focused on the "main" sins as we see them, that God's got this, that you just need to relax (guilty again! I might need a tougher shoe soon) And there lies the ugly of leaving legalism behind. That's not it either.
Neither view is Gods view. Only God knows God's view. And what we need to do is talk to Him about what He wants from each of us on our own...not tell or ask him what our neighbor or friend needs. As true believers, we have THE Holy Spirit, we don't need any other holy spirits. And I don't need to be anyone's holy spirit. So. Hard. For someone who likes to help!! (Not sure how some of my family and friends are still with me!) However, He alone can and will handle reprimands, discipline and teaching in my life just as He will yours. It just isn't how we like it to happen all the time but He is God, not me.
We have been commanded to walk humbly with Him, love mercy and do what is right (Micah 6:8). This is individualized in my eyes because the whole "do what is right"...is all about Obedience. obeying God. If I obey Him in my life then I'm doing what is right even if it's not what my neighbor deems as "right". Easier said than done for us opinionated beings!
Bottom Line:
We need to focus on Jesus. Just Jesus. Read his words to us individually. Dare to jump out of the boat (as my friend Jonnea says) and follow what He tells YOU. Share what He teaches you with others, we still learn from the experience of others. But share with love, not with expectations. If we did that, seems like other things would fall into place.
I Praise Him for grace, I sure need it.
3 comments:
Love
LOVE this Heather!!
Great words of truth!
Post a Comment