Now here's a fun find...so because this was apparently built from an older homestead, we keep finding interesting pieces of wood all in the structure. We're talking roof, walls, studs...we have seen newer wood, older wood, distressed older white painted wood, distressed older reddish-brown painted wood, distressed older cream painted wood...
and then you also have this.
![]() |
| weathered white painted wood in living room wall |
| Reddish brown painted wood on ceiling |
Used as a smaller stud/brace 2x4 in the dining room wall is a board with an eyehook on it, used to be the framing for a screen door.
Kind of fits when you remember we found a light switch in the ceiling...cause that's normal.
Ok, back to progress...and there has been quite a bit. Although it doesn't always feel like it, especially for my man who is working every free minute to get us in the house before summer.
While our tile guys started on our two bathrooms,
T has been working hard (with help again from our friend Cole and his brother Tanner) putting up ceilings where needed and walls in the kitchen and dining room (Hence the Christopher Cross reference in the title...shiplap's going up!).
Tip: Rent a Sheetrock Lift if you are putting new ceilings in yourself. Doesn't cost a lot to rent and saves a lot of sore muscles. Sheetrock is HEAVY!
![]() |
| Living room ceiling done! This one took some thinking from T and his brother as it sloped a bit, but they rocked it...get it...ROCKED it...sheetrock...I crack myself up. |
![]() |
| Kitchen ceiling done! |
And now on to the shiplap...
I'm proud to say I helped with this room. And by helping I mean, I stayed quiet and did what T told me to do (hold up boards). This may seem like a small thing, but if you know me IRL, you know I'm not always quiet...nor do I usually do exactly what T tells me. However, after years of marriage I have finally learned to:
1.do as he directs on house projects and then
2. do what I want when he's not around and he usually will like it (or he will pretend to)
BEFORE: Kitchen
AFTER:
BEFORE: Laundry/Pantry (was a breakfast nook)
AFTER:
![]() |
| Now enclosed and will have a sliding old door we bought from First Baptist in Lufkin before it was torn down. |
Of course, T being T, he keeps finding things that haven't been fixed "just right" (interpret to mean...as HE sees as right because he's always right...slight sarcasm intended for T's benefit...but of course he's always right...).
Like...
![]() |
| We love the fireplace...however it was lacking some support so T had to add some boards and shore a few things up. |
And...
![]() |
| Shiplap started but also notice the subfloor...T had to go back and replace several that should have been replaced and had to secure several before starting on walls. |
He gets frustrated because when hoping to spend a day putting UP walls, he ends up spending a day taking OUT things that still aren't how he would prefer them for his family.
But, once he gets things fixed there's a feeling of pride in a job well done and he feels more secure for us all being in a home well built. I love that about him. I also hate it because he keeps finding little tiny things to fix and I'd like to see WALLS. Stubborness might be a family trait....
Another project T has been working to finish is adding maple wood floor boards where we had to move the old fireplace and widen doorways.
| Spot where old fireplace was in living room against back wall |
When you need to replace real wood floor boards, the trick to making it look seamless is feathering new boards with old boards. Then once it's all sanded and restained they should all look like they were laid at the same time.
We are truly hoping to be in the house by the middle of May, the sooner we stop paying rent and mortgage all the better! Plus this...
This is such a peaceful spot and every time we are out there we hate leaving.
Now for your extra looks...thanks to renovating an older home, I've been able to go to Canton Trades Days TWICE this year! Going once is a rarity, but twice...unheard of and it's been so fun :-)
First trip was with my kindred spirit friend Wendy, we haven't seen eachother in person in a couple of years so it was long overdue!
![]() |
| Two different times we found Hogs and Frogs together, it was a trip meant to be :-) |
Before we were done, I found this jelly cabinet and it will go in our kitchen by the hallway. Perfect width and height and keeps us from having a cabinet built and the price was low, so perfect for me.
The lady who put the two pieces together and sold it had a son with CP who had passed away recently, I knew it was the right cabinet.
Second trip was with T for my bday...well my excuse was we had to pick up the cabinet I bought the month before when I was with Wendy. Thankfully T likes to go too, so we had a great time.
AND...best part...we found these!
![]() |
| The sign on the right was painted on a piece of metal from an old saloon out of Kansas, that's the one we bought :-) |
A sign to go above our Laundry/Pantry door and Metal roofing tins. These will go behind our stove in the kitchen and we are thinking maybe around our fireplace too, couldn't believe we found some this trip. We've been looking for months!
That's it for now...hopefully I'll get another blog written before May is over. Maybe.



























No comments:
Post a Comment