Thursday, December 4, 2008

My Dad's surgery results

I know several of you have received this via e-mail, but I wanted to post it here also. The more prayer warriors out there, the better :)

Dad's throat has been bothering him for awhile (turns out it's been about 6 months, he just didn't want to tell mom b/c she would make him go to the doctor...duh!). So...after seeing the doc. yesterday, they got him in for surgery this morning b/c there was a growth in his throat. The results are cancer. The doctor said he hadn't seen anything like it before, it's sort of a typical throat cancer but one that comes from smoking, etc...which Dad has never done. They got the growth out, which was about the size of the end of thumb. It was attached to a stem (which the doc was glad to see, if you can be glad about something w/cancer, b/c it might be contained), which is still attached to the outside of his voice box. They will go next week for a CAT scan, then to see a radiologist. Unless the scan shows that surgery needs to happen first, but the doc thinks radiation (and possibly chemo) will be the route they will go.

So...keep praying and I'll let you know more next week after the next visit they have. I've told J, we have both cried a bit, and we have decided to go see Grandma and Grandaddy tomorrow after J's field trip. J, of course, is scared and I had to smile when he said in all seriousness through his tears, "who's gonna cook me cookies? Grandaddy has to be ok". He's afraid he'll cry when he sees dad, of course I've told him that's fine, but that I want him to see that Grandaddy is ok for now, that he's not frail or anything. In fact, true to form, Dad has only been home since 3pm and he's already been working!

The crazy thing is we always assumed the ones to get cancer first would be mom or myself b/c of the history in her family (you name it, they've had it). Dad's dad (my pawpaw) had throat cancer but we assumed it was b/c of his cigar smoking and out of all of his brothers and sisters, it's been a rare occurence.

Most of you who know me know I'm a big Daddy's girl, about as big as they come, so this is hard. I love you all and will keep the blog updated when I can and when I learn new info.

1 comment:

Jan said...

There, there, sweet Heather.