Friday, April 9, 2010

God is Doin' a Nu Thang!

Ok...so many of you might not recognize that title...it's old school Christian "rap". DC Talk, a group of 3 young Christian music pioneers sang that back in the 90's and I was fortunate enough to see them in person while in college. My friend Larry and I went to see Michael W. Smith but were completely blown away by his opening act...DC Talk and those of you who know me know full well I'm usually more of a Barry Manilow type music girl. However, I loved how they spoke, sang and quite simply...ROCKED that packed stadium.


Now, fast forward almost 20 years and you find J listening to his first Toby Mac CD and loving it. What amazes him more is that his occasionally dorky mom (ok, so "occasionally" is my wording) actually saw this musical man in concert "back in the day". After listening to a few old DC Talk songs also, he was a bit disappointed that it wasn't from the 80's, but it has still made me very cool for just awhile :)


So last week, on a whim, I thought I'd search online to see if Toby Mac might be in concert anytime soon and waddya know...he was...just an hour and 1/2 from home and in 4 days of my search!

We had a blast and Toby Mac can still rock a stadium! Skillet was the opening band, they are a heavy metal group, not usually my thing either, but they were fantastic. We have discovered, however, that while J is so much like me in his love for music, he is bit more like his dad in the whole concert going thing. T could go his whole life without attending a concert, just not his thing, though he enjoys music. J is a mix of us in this aspect...he enjoys going and is excited to see the show, but after about an hour, is exhausted and ready to go home. We did take some fun self-pics though ;~)



I loved this...J wanted to hold up my phone during a couple of songs with others. Ah, memories of my younger concert days (course, I won't ever tell J that my first concert ever was at this same stadium and it was SO different from Toby Mac...um, can anyone say Air Supply? oh yea, baby! I made it up to myself by seeing Def Leppard one time also, I promise!)






1 comment:

Grateful for Grace said...

Soooo cute!! I love the last self photo. Darling. you are sooo beautiful!

I, too, like suprising the kids with my coolness. We are big Toby Mac fans here.