![]() |
| Team Priceless 2010 walkers! |
In 2009, Team Priceless was born. Wendy and Tina joined us...three walkers and one crew member. When I first signed up for year 2, I knew it was for all 60 miles this time, a pride thing I guess. Then, when we found out Dad had cancer, I KNEW I would make all 60, motivation overtook pride. We all 3 made it and mom worked her tail off on the Check-in crew. We and our donors understood the walk better...although they still wondered about our sanity?
2010...Team Priceless continues and it was full of bling and bright pink! This year, Wendy, Jennifer and my sis-in-law Carrie joined us...4 walkers and one crew member. This year, again, I knew I was in for all 60. All I have to remember is what Dad went through. The pain he suffered, the sickness, the weight loss, the fears and insecurity, things he still has issues with because of chemo. I wasn't able to train as much and my knees are talking to me today (and reminding me to train better next time, ha!) On Day 3, with just 2.5 miles to go (the longest 2 miles of the walk it seems!), Wendy and I just started thinking that no matter how much we were hurting, our friend Amy, who is fighting stage 4 breast cancer, isn't able to walk much right now because of hip deterioration from the cancer...how so very much harder that is. What better reason to finish the walk??!! Sure our feet were screaming and our knees aching, but blisters don't need chemo. And hopefully, because of friends and donors like you who support organizations like Susan G. Komen, one day soon chemo will be a thing of the past. Imagine just for a moment, a world without cancer or chemo. Can I get an Amen to that one?
![]() |
| 2 years together, 240 miles together! (Day 2 morning) |
But, having said that, I realized on Sunday that I have now become one of those "Of course!" walkers. During my first year, I clearly remember talking with a lady who walks and then crews every other year. I asked her if she always did all 60 miles on the years she walks and she looked at me like I was crazy and said "of course!". I wanted to be able to say that...I'll admit, a bit prideful of me, and I apologize for that...but what can I say? It sparked desire. So, when T asked me this year after the closing ceremony "So you made it all again?" I looked at him with a matter of fact "Of course!" It just came out. I'm not sure if I had the "are you crazy?" look on my face, but I have the feeling I did. That is the part that satisfies a part of me I had forgotten is inside of me...determination...but not so much for me physically. I realized it's a determination to get over myself and keep moving no matter what comes.
![]() |
| Doesn't mom look great?! She had "Team Priceless" painted on her back-end too!! (end of Day 2) |
![]() |
| Team Priceless, end of Day 3...slower physically but elated emotionally! |
Next year, Wendy and I have decided to be on the Crew. Give our legs and feet (and donors) a one year walking break :~) Mom is "retiring" her position and we are signing up and hoping we will get spots. If they fill up, we will go for the weekend anyway and be official Cheering Station peeps, because it's in our blood now. We want to be the cheerleaders, maybe even end up as toilet paper changers at a pit stop, this time because we love watching the other walkers come in at the end of each day, knowing the look on their faces...whether they make a whole day or a whole mile...it's a look of "I am helping to end breast cancer". Don't get me wrong...while I can't lie and say there still isn't a little prideful feeling in doing this, it's so much more than that...it's a humbling, sad, joyful, amazing and overwhelming feeling all at once. Anyone who works for any charity can say this. It's hard to explain...come experience it for yourself!! Since we will be working it next year, we are looking for walkers for Team Priceless in 2011!!! So we can be there each day to cheer you on and hug on you!
Oh...and just in case you are wondering...it only takes 3 years of the 3-Day before you DON'T try to flush a port-a-potty. Talk about a huge accomplishment! (more pictures to follow...I misplaced my camera after Day 1 so I am waiting on pictures!)




2 comments:
You are Awesome and inspiring!! I want to go walk right now and I don't do that!! I am so happy your dad is a survivor! I know he is proud!! I hope to see you soon!!
You guys are amazing!! Congrats on walking the 60 miles! Wowza!d
Post a Comment