Wednesday, June 21, 2023

But I Own My Own Business...

Taking up from last week...all of the "consultants/distributors/Lady Bosses" not taking "no" from other women...all of the Boss Babes, Mom Bosses, Girl Bosses...they are being told they are Entreprenuers and that they own their own businesses and we then tell those we are trying to recruit the same thing.  But it's a huge HUGE lie. 

The company owns the business. And who runs your MLM company? A man. While many were founded or created by women, it is few and far between that any females are CEOs of the MLM companies. None of us were entreprenuers nor did I ever own my own oil or stamp business, I was just a pawn doing all of the leg work for a man who was telling me I was my own Girl Boss with Girl Power! I cringe now every single time I see that. Every. Time. Because I fell for it all hook, line and sinker. "But my company has a female in charge" you might say, but look closer, she's usually the wife of a man who is the true CEO. She's the face and probably the creative director and idea girl but her husband is the head.



Need proof? 
~Arbonne - Tyler Whitehead who succeeded Jean-David Schwartz
~doTerra - Corey Lindley (although they get a hint of credit for having ONE female on their executive staff.  ONE out of 7)
~Herbalife - Michael Johnson who succeeded John Agwunabi
~Mary Kay - while founded by Mary Kay Ash, the CEOs since the 60's have been men. (although they get a hint of credit for one area having a female COO)
~Limelife - has a female CEO, yet the parent company Alcon? nope - David Endicott.  In fact their executive breakdown is 35% female 65% male.
~Melaleuca - Frank VanderSloot
~Monat - Rayner Urdaneta
~Pampered Chef - Andrew Treanor who took over after Tracy Cool (so a hint of credit for having a female CEO for a very brief time). However, Tracy Cool was put in as CEO after Warren Buffet's company bought Pampered Chef.  So ultimately...it all goes to Warren.
~Plexus - Todd Kelsey
~Rodan and Fields - yet another founded by women but with a male CEO Dimitri Haloulos
~Scentsy - founded by women, has a husband and wife CEO, much like LuLaRoe where Oliver, not Heidi, is the actual pants wearer.
~Tupperware - several male CEOs the latest Miguel Fernandez
~Young Living - male CEO until Gary Young's death in 2021, Mary Young is now CEO but speaking from experience...she's more pocket-filling than he was.
~Younique - started by a brother/sister team, yet the brother Derek Maxfield is the CEO. The sister is listed as the Chief Visionary Director.
~Xyngular - Russ Fletcher

Is having a male CEO of a company a bad thing? Not at ALL!  Do I have an issue with a man being the head of a company? Not at ALL!  So why am I listing these few MLM companies with their CEOs? 

Because we, as Boss Babes for these companies, are told:
that we are empowering women...
that we are supporting our families by recruiting moms and other women...
that we are lifting eachother up and finding community with other women...
that we are being great examples for the younger female generation...

But we're not. We are working for men, not women, and definitely not for ourselves. Sure, your upline is going to be 90-100% female and they do make money off of you and your downline orders but ultimately...we are only Boss Babes because a man needs us to do the groundwork, to be the inviting faces of his company.



We are "making" money to support executives who already have money, and lots of it, while we continue doing so on the backs of our friends and family :-(. Sure, Heather, but all companies line the pockets of the execs.  Yes, but in an MLM, that money comes from consultant/distributor orders NOT by simple product sales or 9-5 work you've been hired to do. To make money you have to spend money, right? I've said that too many times and I cringe now. While that may be true as an actual entrepreneur, it's a LIE when it comes to MLMs. You spend money with little return. (More on this in a later post). And more times than not, you and your downline (and upline) are bleeding credit cards dry to stay in the business, as well as refusing a lot of "no" responses to recruit more people in a very saturated market (did I say that out loud? yep...despite what you are told, the markets for EVERY company is saturated).

I didn't have my own essential oil business, I had a teensy-tiny part in an essential oil business owned by a man who made all of his money from recruiting women to do the legwork while telling them they were the heart of the business.  I didn't have my own stamping business, I had a super tiny part in an LDS based stamping company who told me I was the heart of their business. Because sadly, that's what we like to hear although it's hard to admit. 

We love the accolades, we love knowing we are "making a difference" all the while not taking "no" for an answer from our family and friends.  Sending out "hey girl!" messages when you don't hear from a "customer" or "potential recruit" in awhile. Sending out a text out of the blue about a new product launch to reel people back in after they drop out. That end of the month push when we need $200 more to get to Super Star level for a bigger check so we do a Flash Sale or a push for recruitment. 

We love getting the attention of higher ups in our companies, I mean that's human nature.  But in an MLM, it only means "Congrats, you're spending enough and you've recruited enough ladies who are spending enough as well to get you this award!"  

And I wish I had figured it out sooner.  My hubby was as supportive as he could possibly be while constantly telling me this was a scam. He was right.

Here's a great Youtuber to check out on Anti-MLM 

No comments: