Well...I'm bruised, sore and think I might have a touch of poison ivy on my ankle but MAN, am I feeling great!! I found out a few months ago that a lady at our church runs a ropes course at Angelina College and that she needed facilitators. Now, as many of you know...I'm not a college kid anymore...I know what you're thinking, "no way, she sure looks like she is!", but alas...tis no longer (ha...hopefully, you are all laughing at that one!). However, I have always enjoyed the ropes experiences and believe it or not, my graduate degree lends itself to this work (yep, Dad, I'll be using my DEGREE!! To make real money!!! ha!) But saying that, grad school was also the last time I was on a ropes course (just a mere few years ago...).
We are undergoing a 4 day training to become facilitators for Sabrina and her crew. Team Synergy, lead by a fellow Horned Frog, Paul Short, is heading up our training. This last Friday and Saturday were the first 2 days, 8am - 5:30pm each day. Next Fri/Sat will be the final 2 days. It has been awesome, it's all coming back me as I walk around the course, listen to Paul, re-face fears of high elements (bring it on Multi-vine!...Pamper (or power) Pole is this Friday), re-learn belaying, etc... I will ask your prayers as I study this week b/c we will be taking a test on Saturday and must make 85 or above! I think it would be awesome to be able to take J and his Cub Scout group sometime, they even do birthday parties there, way cool. Paul also has offered to bring equipment next weekend to let J do the zip line if he wants to...we'll see! It would be great if he would :)
Here are some pics of the group, there are 10 of us in training, and although I'm not the youngest or the oldest, I think I do have the weakest arms, ha!. (Unfortunately, training for the 3Day, while creating solid leg muscles, doesn't do much for the arms!) It's always cool to see the group become more trusting, more open and have more fun together as the time progresses...just as a ropes course is designed to encourage! Imagine doing this with high school kids, corporate groups, 10 year olds, you name it, what an impact these activities have.
And just in case you have never heard of a ropes course, it's a set of low and high activities designed to build teamwork, trust, confidence, cooperation, etc...in a group (and in each individual). There are low elements (games you play on the ground, sometimes using props or wires attached to trees. There are moderately high elements such as the Trust Fall, (you stand in front of 2 others who catch you as you fall backwards) and the Wall (12-14 ft wall that you must get the whole group over...nothing to climb on but eachother). Then there are high elements, like the Catwalk, which is a telephone pole parallel to the ground but is 25 feet or so up in the air...you must climb up to it and walk across it...no handles :) I am not describing it all well b/c I don't want to keep you reading forever, but it's all incredible.
Me climbing up to the CatWalk
Keith on the Multivine (you walk across a cable and your only aid is 5 ropes that hang from a higher cable spread over the walk)
+130.jpg)
Mia on the Catwalk...just to show you the height. The 2 guys below are belaying (she has a rope attached to her harness that goes through a pulley above the catwalk and the belayer holds below so if she falls, they will bring her down slowly and safely)
Our final 2 going up the Wall
+067.jpg)
The tower..Matt is up at the top setting up the belay rope for the Multivine and Incline walk (hard to see him, but he's on the left of the tower right under the green covering). This is what we will all be doing Friday, setting up and taking down the high elements.
Ok...on to Project 365, this is week 15, the week of Easter. I actually have all weeks up till today started with pictures, just don't have the decorative layouts done yet :( Will get them up soon!

Just a quick overview: day 1 - J & I headed to Grandma & Grandad's to see Annie on stage. day 2 - J petting Assie, our now outdoor cat who meets us every morning and afternoon at the car. day 3 - my sweet Bullet, who loves to "sneak" onto the couch when we aren't looking.
day 4 - Ms Jessica came by to see J while in town for the week, she brought chocolate, always good! day 5 - J has been playing on his playground a lot this week, he likes that the animals will crawl up there with him now. day 6 - proof that Bullet goes rock climbing occasionally. day 7 - He is risen! Easter morning after church, the bunny stopped by also.
1 comment:
Wow, what a workout! I have never been on a ropes course, and I am not sure I really want to. The whole height thing makes me nervous, or at least the landing from the height.
I have heard that fels naptha soap can cut through poison ivy. It is a slighly caustic soap, so I don't think you would want it for a bath bar but if it keeps you from breaking out as bad . . . . I have some (when I found it at kroger on the laundry aisle I stocked up), if you are going to be there wednesday night, I can bring you a bar.
I haven't tested it because I don't think the kids and I are allergic and Hubby isn't willing to risk it. chicken.
Post a Comment