Thursday, January 12, 2017

So...you aren't getting your own bathroom now...

These are the words we (ok I) said to our teen after we started the demo process.

See...we originally planned on J having the new garage/bedroom with the roll in shower.  Yes, I know, that would be the nice thing to do. 
Nice...who needs that!

BEFORE: garage
So as you can see...a plain garage.
We sold the actual garage door, and T began the demo (which you can see more pics of in a previous post)


He still gets the other bigger bedroom in the house, don't feel too bad for him. He just doesn't get his own bathroom. 
Because he's a teenager.
And I'm the MOM.
I want MY own bathroom. So I win.
He also will still be able to use the roll in shower obviously, whenever he pleases.  Unless I'm in my awesome new tub. Priorities people...mom with a glass of wine in the tub or a clean teen...which one do you think wins? And we've enlarged the hall bath which he will probably use most of the time anyway.
So this room has come the farthest in the renovation process so far and while it's not done I wanted to show the progress.

Deconstruction underway...all wood and shelving stripped down except the ceiling.
 Between deconstructing the garage and the kitchen, we discovered an old door way (to the left of the French door). We have since come to think that it was the original entrance or at least a screen door because part of the kitchen has concrete underneath like an old porch. And after working over and over on my tablet trying to make the furniture work with the current door layout combined with an easy pathway to the bathroom for J, we've decided to use the old doorway as our master door instead of the current French door location. Finding old things comes in pretty handy!
(ok, full disclosure...T will say he suggested this awhile back and I said no...I don't recall this...as usual)

It seemed to take forever for this to finally begin but we finally had subfloor starting!
T swears he's working on the days he takes off to go to the farmhouse...but somehow I always catch him doing this with Patrick...


 Just kidding, he's working his tail off for us and I'm so thankful!

So here's a progression of photos..you can see in the first one the wall framing started for the bathroom/closet side of the room on the right.
Just so you can see how it's laid out...you are looking through the old garage door here (which faces the pond and most of the property) towards the front of the house. The bedroom will be on the left spanning the back to front and the master bath and closet will be on the right.  Bath facing back of property, closet up front where the current window on the right is. (not great grammar there, sometimes even a grammar Nazi gets tired of it lol!)


 And here's the closet now framed in. Yes, it has a window, but it will be nice during the day to help us old folks find the right colors to match, eh?

 And to the right of the closet is the master bath!


Window in bathroom

windows in bedroom

Window view from end of bedroom

Our contractor had these two windows from an early 1900's house and they work perfectly with our other windows. They are a little taller but they remind me of an old schoolhouse, I love them! And what a view from the bedroom now :-)


Here's the view from the outside...

Before windows...
Add caption

After windows...
So to help you with your bearings...to the left is the kitchen/back door, to the right is the bedroom and further right is the master bath. This side of the house is the back of house, facing the pond, property, etc...
The closet is on the opposite side of the house next to the master bath, facing the front of the house.
  Remember that old window I previewed in the last post? It's my new master bath window! Frosted for a bit of privacy but will still let in a ton of light. We plan on leaving it as is on the inside, but will probably paint the outside to match the trim color we choose.

If you've missed my hubby at church the last couple of weeks...this is why. He's been sooooo glad the demo work is done, but that means rebuilding work begins.  To stay in budget, he is doing quite a bit of the work for us, such as insulating the outer walls...
For insulation...T put thin strips of wood between the outer wall and the hard thin insulation so the outer wall will not get wet over the years. We noticed those that didn't have insulation were in the best shape but we need insulation so he put the thin stuff in first.  He will put in another layer on top...not sure which one but I will update that as it gets done.
 fixing broken or rotten boards in the master ceiling...
 and dressing up like the StayPuf Marshmallow Man!
 Ok, so the suit is actually a protective outfit because I wanted to keep the ceiling in the master, but distress it...and there's a possibility of a little lead paint...maybe more than a possibility. And I kinda like my husband (and let's face it, I NEED him...3 boys, people, 3 boys!). But I love him more than anything and want him around as long as possible so I didn't want him ingesting any lead paint flakes!
 He used the orbital saw above to cut and repair the planks then the grinder and these flap discs pictured below (discs purchased at Harbor Freight) for the job and they worked fanstastically.

He says all these years of buying tools has finally paid off, he's got just about everything we need around this renovation. Except another tractor...yup.

This photo shows the master bath ceiling in progress...the back part is still white but you can see how great the grinder distresses the wood!
 Bathroom ceiling done!
this is looking from the bathroom towards the closet
 I LOVE it! T says he finally sees my vision on this and it was worth the work, which itself wasn't bad and went fairly quickly. The hard part was doing this over his head, his arms were killing him after. BUT, he's glad we did it! (we...ok, HE)

And one last part that's done so far...we had planned on having a half wall of tile/half clear glass for the walled part of the shower.  Our contractor and carpenter both advised us to make it more of a wall with a "window" so it would be more sturdy. It will also go with the house better, less modern than a large piece of clear glass. 

So I found something T & I both loved the look on on Pinterest and they did it! I can't WAIT to see this tiled on the inside (with a small ledge for our bath items) and shiplapped on the outside!

Again...for your bearings...shen you walk into the bathroom, the shower is on your left, tub will be under the old window to your right. Toilet and sink in between them both on the back outer wall. So the window you see here is the closet.
OK and for your teaser....
This is the pine flooring T and his brother labored over to pull out of the Lufkin First Baptist Church buildings before they were demolished. To the right is how it came out of the church.  To the left are the stripped and planed pieces T will be finishing and installing into the master bedroom and closet!
Free floor is always good. A bit more work, but another piece of history we can talk about :-) 
















Photobucket

No comments: