My heart is overflowing...
I dropped off a tearful 13 year old last Sunday and picked up an excited 13 year old Friday night. He even looked more confident. What a change! Did he still miss us all week? yes. Was he glad to be back home? yes. Did he enjoy his first full week at camp? YES!
The first thing he told me after the awards ceremony? Are you ready for this? HE DID THE ZIP LINE...AGAIN!!! I was so not expecting this announcement after last year's "I screamed like a girl and I'm glad I did it but I won't do it again." Well, apparently he screamed like a girl this time too (his words), and he said when they asked if he wanted to try it he almost said no. Then he realized he would be upset with himself if he didn't try again. And after looking at the time stamps on his photos, I realized it only took him 6 minutes to go down the zip this time as opposed to 15 minutes last time :-) SO PROUD OF MY BOY for not quitting and for facing his fears.
THAT is what Lions Camp is all about...facing those fears, having a Can-Do attitude. That's my boy! And for those of you who know my sweet but anxiety-filled child in real life, this is a huge thing for him.
But do you know what else touched my heart? When he told me that people wanted to talk to him, especially girls. You see, back at home (church, etc...) people are sometimes nervous to talk to J because they aren't sure of him, he is different. Or they think he has more "things wrong" with him because he uses a wheelchair so it's just easier to stay away. It's always been that way, sadly it always will be. Either that or they try to take care of him like he is younger than he really is, which also bothers him. Yes, he has some great friends who like him as he is, but for a 13 year old...getting a girl's attention is very exciting.
That's one of the things I love about this camp...it creates an even playing field for friendships. No one is different there like they are at home. They are all the same, maybe not on the outside, but because they all have disabilities, extra difficulties, etc...they want to befriend each other, not avoid each other. This was a big boost for my shy-around-girls son.
Each camper gets a certificate of some type before the awards ceremony in their bunkhouse. The award J won in his bunkhouse wing was "successfully participating in all activities".
Then at the awards ceremony, he was also given the Wing Participation award for 5B! They give one of these per wing of each bunkhouse at the big awards ceremony :-) I was not expecting any on stage awards.
What was even more exciting for this old counselor? When my boy was pulled up to the stage by his Team Leader to help lead "Lions Camp Spirit" and "Lions Camp Yell"! And he knew the words!
I realize my abundant use of exclamation points in this post is probably wearing you out, but I am just so stinkin' proud of and excited for J :-)
Now for the answer I was hoping for all week to this question... You think you want to go back next summer? :-) A big smile and a "Yes! But next year I will probably not be as homesick because I know what goes on. And I might even do the zip line for a third time!"
Growing up, my boy is.
{{ If you know of ANY children ages 7-16 who have a physical disability, please tell them about Lions Camp!! So many families do not even know it exists. It's FREE to the families, they just need a Lion to sign their application. }}

4 comments:
How exciting for your boy!! So happy for him! (and you!!)
That is absoulutely fabulous!
Oh, I have goosebumps and am thanking the LORD for this beautiful answer to prayer!! I could not be happier for you both!
much love from all of the Brouses!
Heather, I love those exclamation points! I am so excited for him and you!!!
Post a Comment