Ok...recipe coming! I never liked Chicken Pot pie growing up, didn't like that it was all mashed together & hidden under a crust...never sure what was really under that thing.
BUT...my lovely sis-in-law made this when we visited them on the weekend they were married years ago and I have been a convert ever since!
Aunt L's Chicken Pot Pie
1 chicken, boiled and deboned (you will have leftovers for another recipe, won't use it all for this)
1 can cream of mushroom soup
1 can cream of chicken soup
1/4-3/4 cup chicken broth
1 small bag frozen mixed veggies (peas, green beans, corn, carrots)
1 med. potato (cook in microwave like you would a baked potato, then peel and cut into bite size chunks
poultry seasoning
salt
pepper
1 pie crust (I use the refrigerated rolled up kind, better taste)
After chicken has cooled and been deboned, tear meat into bite size pieces & put in large bowl...you will use over 1/2 of the chicken meat, approx. 2/3 if you want a lot of chicken in it. Add soups, mixed veggies and seasonings. Stir together (I use approx. 1 to 1 1/2 Tbs poultry seasoning and several shakes of salt and pepper). The seasoning just comes w/time, you will have to experiment, sometimes it ends up not very seasoned but still good! Stir in potato chunks, then add broth 1/8th cup at a time until it is soupy but NOT too runny. You don't want it dry but you don't want it runny, makes for a nasty pot pie! I would say about the consistency of pudding that is not completely set...does that help? Again...something you will learn to eyeball.
Spray a 9x9 baking dish w/oil or pam and add chicken mixture. Then cover w/one pie crust. You can use 2, but it is less fattening w/one and it's plenty of crust per bite. And...I don't use a pie plate anymore b/c they are just a bit too small for the amount of chicken mixture I end up with.
Bake at 375 for approx. 45 min...until it's bubbling at edges a bit and crust is cooked. Serves 9 (if you use appropriate servings, good luck with that, ha!)
1 comment:
Yummm!! Homemade chicken pot pie is soooooo much better than those store bought frozen things.
although I also like those store bought frozen things *hangs head shamefully*
Post a Comment