Ok, this is a spontaneous post of sorts because of something I witnessed today...while at a FUNERAL...did you get that? (cuz I wrote it in capital letters!)...a FUNERAL...the man sitting beside me pulled out his cell phone and proceeded to browse either internet or text someone, I didn't look closely enough to see what he was doing. But the fact was, he was checking out his PHONE at a FUNERAL, in the MIDDLE OF A FUNERAL! Now, true, I don't know the circumstances, he might have been checking on a sick parent, relative, child...but it still made me think...are we that addicted to our phones that they trump a friend's death? a visit to the toilet? a loved one's wedding? Can we not do without for a measly 30 minutes?
So, here are my TOP 5 CELL PHONE IRRITATIONS (for lack of a better word...ridiculousness, "Here's Your Sign" moments with cell phones...I don't know)And yes, these are all allowed in case of extreme emergency but otherwise...
#5. At the movie theater, after the lights have gone down. (you know who you are...and the rest of us do too b/c that lighted screen? Yea we ALL SEE IT!) Checking to see if the babysitter called I understand but holding it up to text during a movie? Not needed.
#4. At the dinner table...you're eating, hopefully with your family, whom you should be talking to...it's OK to NOT answer your phone, really, it is...try it!
#3. In church. Yep, I've witnessed this one first hand as well. Youth texting during church, which probably doesn't surprise most of you, but here's the amazing part...parents sitting right next to them doing NOTHING about it.
#2. In a public bathroom. Again...you know who you are. What is that important that you can't hang up to do your business then call back? Honestly, when I'm in the stall next to you and you're on your phone, I'm embarrased for myself, but even more so for the person you're talking to...and don't tell me they can't hear it, that's not really the point. It's just disrepectful...plus what makes you think I want to hear your conversation while I'm...um....concentrating????
#1. In the middle of a funeral! That has now surpassed the public restroom. Show some respect...no wonder kids growing up today could care less about respect, look at their role models!
Well...now you see what's been bugging me today :) Any cell phone irritations you have that I've missed? Let me know :) Hopefully I don't do them since I've vented about my top 5, ha!!
3 comments:
I don't get quite as irritated with cell phones as I do the video games and mp3 players. I see families going out to eat and the kids are hooked up to their electronics so it isn't a "family meal." I suppose it could almost be like a date for mom and dad since the kids are involved in their own thing.
It makes me wonder how well they will do as adults, still selfish and totally self-involved - probably texting during funerals.
Heather, I can top your funeral....at a funeral yesterday, 2, YES TWO, cell phones rang during the service. They didn't answer them, but they did get them out and turn them off. Those 2 phones each played a short melody when they turned them off.
HOW RUDE!
I was at a birthday party and this kid was listening to her Ipod during the party and I think it was for her best friend (I think about 10 years old).
It isn't a cell phone but again it is a whole new level of rude brought on by technology.
Post a Comment