Thursday, October 15, 2009

Hey Mom, listen to this! (and RECIPES!!)

I have been meaning to post a couple of recipes but before I do, I have to share with you how wonderful it is to hear those words "Hey mom, listen to this!". You see, the long-awaited Diary of a Wimpy Kid Dog Days (book 4) is officially out and T surprised J w/it last night before leaving for Wyoming. You gotta love any book that your child will choose to read over watching a movie or playing a video game during his free time before bed. And tonight, as he was quietly playing in his room...or so I thought, I heard giggles and then I heard the "Hey mom.." and he proceeded to relay funny parts of the book to me...3 times. I love it!! Granted, it's no Captain Underpants, but that long-awaited book 8 (or is it 9?) is still being long-awaited...wondering if it will ever really come out.

T, his brother and 4 of T's buddies headed off this morning to the great state of Wyoming for 10 days of elk hunting, fly fishing and hopefully a lot of relaxing and much needed guy time. You should have seen the packing that went on once T's brother arrived last night...ok, well, really the unpacking then repacking as my hubby is the self-proclaimed "Master Packer" of the family and can squeeze many things into the back of truck, car, trailer, you name it. I don't have any pics of the event b/c T has taken the camera but have no fear...I'll be able to make several postings I'm sure once they return w/loads of pictures. I know they were all very ready for this week to arrive. J & I have great plans ourselves, much of which consists of hanging out at home (our favorite thing!), but we hope to squeeze in a movie, we will definitely be attending a concert this weekend at church (if you live close by...here's the info... www.cwbc.org Charlie Hall is coming!!) , and probably we'll eat out a few times (go figure, ha!).

Ok...so here are a couple of recipes. The chicken meal I made on Monday and it was really good! Pretty basic, but great. The bread was also very tasty, but I would suggest using a stronger flavored cheese such as swiss. I used cheddar but couldn't taste it much. The bread still had a fantastic flavor, though.

Chicken Delicious

4 to 6 chicken breasts
lemon juice
salt, pepper, paprika
1 can cream of mushroom soup
1 can cream of celery soup
1/3 cup dry sherry or white wine
grated parmesan cheese

Squeeze some lemon juice into bottom of crock pot, along with a few shakes of salt, pepper and paprika. Place chicken in crock pot and repeat lemon juice sequence. In a bowl, mix soups with wine. Pour over chicken breasts. Sprinkle generously with parmesan cheese. Cover and cook on low for 8 to 10 hours.
I served with baked potatoes b/c that is one of J's new loves, but rice would be perfect also with the sauce this dish creates.

Cheese Bread
(for Bread machines)-large loaf (I use 1.5lb setting for fluffier bread)

Place ingredients in machine as listed (unless your machine specifies liquids and dry ingredients be placed in different order)

6 Tbs water
4 eggs (mix before putting in machine)
8 Tbs margarine/butter
1 cup cheese (Gruyere, sharp cheddar, swiss...)
2/3 tsp sugar
2/3 tsp salt
3 cups bread flour
2 tsp. yeast (I use rapid rise and use the rapid cycle on my machine)

Enjoy :)

No comments: