Ok, I know this might not seem like such an exciting thing...but in this house, it's AWESOME! J has always had trouble with Legos...tiny pieces, hard to fit together sometimes...and that's for me, for J with fingers troubled by cerebral palsy, it's even more difficult. He has wanted several things in the past (ie...Spongebob and a Krusty Krab...which I ended up putting together)...but he would get easily frustrated and tired of them.
Several months ago, Grandad bought J a small Darth Vader Lego figure and he loved that he could put it together without much help. This started a small warming is his heart that Legos might be more fun than he originally thought.
Move forward to the Houston trip this August (and I must give Star Wars a big thanks for the real reason he wants to try Legos again)...he used his allowance to purchase a small 50 piece or so kit. We spent the next morning putting it together. I only had to help him a few times, mainly holding a base piece still while he placed the connecting one on top.
We are so proud of this!! He is now on his second Lego Star Wars creation...it has around 200 pieces so it's taking longer, but I am loving that he wants to put these together and play with them! Talk about incredible therapy for his fingers, following directions out of manual without much help and tapping into some brain cells that aren't used for video games, ha! Bring on the Legos!!
No comments:
Post a Comment