Monday, March 15, 2010

The Happy Birthday Song

As is becoming my custom, the Family Favorites Friday story is a short one, but one we love (oh yea...and obviously I am posting it WAY later than Friday!). It's actually more of a tradition, than a story.

You see, my parents make the Happy Birthday song quite memorable. I am not even sure how long this has been going on, it's been going on so long! They call you up on your big day, (have even been known to call up at 6am in the morning...what's up with that?) and they sing. Not only do they sing, but they sing loud, very high pitched and very off key..on purpose. I know it started atleast when I was in college, but I think it probably started well before that in person. It's simply not a birthday now without that call.

And as is the tradition in our families, we have taken it beyond the four of us (me, mom, dad and my brother). T, J & I now call them on their birthdays and sing to them :) We sing to our adorable neices on their birthdays as well. T actually looks forward to singing, something I am sure he NEVER thought would happen, ha!
So, go ahead, try it! It will make the birthday girl or guy giggle no matter what...and you will giggle while you are singing too, makes it all worth the silliness :)

1 comment:

Grateful for Grace said...

That's such a great family tradition! I love calling friends and singing "Happy Birthday" to them. What an easy and memorable traition.