Saturday, June 19, 2010

The Facts of Life

On Thursday, 2 friends and I headed to Nac to meet Lisa Welchel. If you are a child of the 70's and 80's or were a parent of a young girl at that time, you undoubtedly watched The Facts of Life. Where Mrs. Garrett lead 4 young girls through their teen years. I loved that show, and as I recall was always on after Different Strokes, and of course, I loved the character Blair. She was always so put together, perfect hair, beautiful and just snotty enough that you also didn't like her sometimes, ha!

We have a magazine around here, a free one supported by local businesses, for Christian women, called The Journey Magazine. It was created 5 years ago now and as part of their 5 year celebration, Lisa came in to speak. It was really cool. Not only did we get to listen to her for awhile, we also arrived during the meet and greet and were able to actually meet her up close at our table which was truly cool (yea, I can't quit saying the word "cool"...deal with it! :) ).


And what was even better...she didn't actually just stand up and "give us a talk". She decided to make it more personal, so she let us in the audience ask questions and she answered. She shared so many tidbits on homeschooling, life after your youngest graduates, creating adult friendships. She joked with us, (once telling us that obviously Mrs. Garrett had done her job well teaching the facts of life as Lisa went on to have 3 children fairly quickly!), told us what it was like to be a young believer (she accepted Christ at 10 years old) in Hollywood, etc... very down to earth and it just felt like we were having coffee and conversation with her.


We all 3 ended up with books, of course, because we are 3 friends who cannot pass up a book! And we proceeded to get autographs because we just couldn't help ourselves :)
It was a refreshing Girl's Night Out...and ending with dinner at Auntie Pasta's...could it get better? I love my girls!

No comments: