Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Summer is here, finally!

Maybe I can finally get back to posting a bit more regularly...I said maybe, don't forget! J ended school on a great note...he got commended on his TAKS writing, received the "Fastest guy on wheels" award from his classmates and got phone numbers of his friends from class (the following are the only 2 pics I have so far...I had to borrow a camera that day, couldn't find mine :( I took one of his teacher actually giving him an award but don't have it yet )


We also finally told the principal and teachers that we will be homeschooling next year. Yep. You read that correctly...I know some of you have passed out so I'll give you a minute to recouperate.

Minute's up.

Before you think I'm jumping into this, it has not been decided overnight. This is something we have been thinking and praying about for almost 2 years. And just so you know...it's also something I have sworn all of my adult life I would NEVER EVER EVER do. But you know how God is...he likes to throw MY "nevers" out the window on me!

I have researched, talked with all of my friends who homeschool, visited the local co-op group, taken J to a skate day to meet some kids...believe me when I say I'm nervous but encouraged and excited. J has been asking me about this for the last year or so. Granted...some of his reasoning is having more time for fun at home (namely...video games) but he now knows that will still not be priority, we'll just get to do school a little more fun and freely than he's used to. Granted, he will have more time at home and more time for games and more important...more time for rest, therapy, travelling, etc...

We have no idea how long God plans on us doing this...might be a year, might be 2, might be until we send him off to college. All we know is it's the right time and I am looking forward to just hanging out with my son while he still enjoys hanging out with me and while he wants to learn more about God, the bible, art...things he hasn't had as much to time to learn about during regular school hours.

Wow...I really had no idea this first post after a few weeks off would be about our decisions, but there you have it :)

I hope summer has started well for all of you! We are so thankful it is here...besides the heat, of course ;~)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Tell me how the home-schooling goes. I would love to home-school Aaron, but Mike isn't a huge fan. I miss you girl. By the way if you don't know there is now a Starrville in Longview. WOW heidi