Saturday, February 13, 2010

Family Favorites Friday - Take 1!

Ok...I will admit, this is something I think is a wonderful idea and I really hope to have some great stories and memories to put down every Friday...but this Friday ran away from me. This whole week ran away from me, I have had a lot of actual work to finish (yes, I do have a few "not-family" jobs, paying jobs!) so I let blogging slip.

However, after reading GFG's Friday post, it reminded me of a funny food incident in our family. The year was 1999 and we were having Christmas at our home for my family rather than at my parents. This was a first and we were excited because it was J's first Christmas at home (his real first Christmas was spent in NICU at Texas Children's b/c he was born right before the holiday). T was pumped to cook turkey, dressing and giblet gravy (bleck!). We had a great old home that we were slowly working on and loved to have people over to enjoy it. (Ok...so looking back, we were always way more "into" our old home (built in 1917) than any of our visitors, but we loved it!)

Mom, Dad and my brother arrived, J was being adored by all and T was in the kitchen working on gravy. He couldn't figure out why it wasn't thickening. He continued to add flour and it continued to stay runny.

He finally took a taste.

The look on his face was priceless...a puckered up "What in the WORLD have I done to this?" face.

You see, I am a Tupperware girl. I keep all of my staples and cereals in Tupperware, I swear by the stuff. Never have had a weevil in my flour...I've had them in my pantry, but never in the stuff protected by Tupperware (and no, I get no compensation for mentioning this from Tupperware!)

Well, while my Flour container was labeled...my hubby admittedly didn't pay any attention. He simply saw a white powdery substance and automatically assumed Flour.

No, my friends, it was powdered sugar. Sadly, this ended up being the Christmas without giblet gravy for my man and besides turkey, it's what he lives for around the holidays!

Funnier than that...I have since learned that the hubby of one of my friends here has done the exact same thing!

2 comments:

Christi said...

It would have eventually thickened because powdered sugar contains cornstarch - not that it would have tasted any better that way. But it would have gotten thick.

Poor T!

Grateful for Grace said...

Oh, yuck!! Hilarious! Thank you so much for sharing and participating. I really appreciate it.

Great story!