Sunday, February 21, 2010

Macy, Tim & Christi

Update and prayer time, blog friends!!

Yesterday, I was fortunate to be able to head to Houston for the day to see Macy and Paige. I think I stayed almost 3 hours (they couldn't shove me out the door, are you kidding?). It was wonderful. Here is the scoop on sweet Macy...She looks great! They discovered, thanks to a cautious and amazing neurosurgeon, that the mass in her head was actually herniated brain that was being pulled into a hole in her bone. ( They are calling her an enigma because they just haven't really known what was/is going on. Still waiting on pathology reports due tomorrow (Monday)). The reason she was sent to Texas Children's so quickly 2 weeks ago was because there was also a smaller mass behind her right eye. This was determined to be what is feeding whatever is eating the bone away that has caused the hole through which her brain has gone through. Are you with me so far? Wish I had a chart or something!





The surgeon was sure that once he got in there, cut out the "rotten" part of the brain, the seizures would stop. He was right! Macy not only got a "brain lift" (he re-lifted her right lobe where it had been falling after cutting off some of it...12 hour surgery) but no seizures since Monday. No epilepsy. And they think right now that all she will be missing from the cut part of her brain will be some spacial-visual aspects. But now we are waiting to find out what is eating at the bone. If it's the cancer they think it might be, it's treatable and also VERY rare, like 5 in every 1 million kids get this. She's tired and hating physical therapy (I told her she was in good company w/my son!) but is such a fighter. And the joy she & Paige have is just contagious. They know, without a doubt, who is in control. Such encouragement for others, let me tell you.


So...keep Macy and her family (she has 3 sisters also) in your prayers as they find out results, hopefully get to come home soon and figure out what step to take next.

Next, while still in Houston, I wanted to take a note over to our friend Tim Young. I haven't posted on here yet about him, but he and his family need our prayers. T & I graduated with Tim, he has always done a fanastic Pee Wee Herman imitation...and most recently did it for us all at our reunion last fall. He was also the guy who came up with a great list of "remember when...'s". About 10 days ago, he was eating dinner at him parents home and had a seizure. They found a brain tumor, stage 4 and it's very agressive. He told me yesterday that the doctor thinks it didn't even appear until 2 months ago. His right arm is still paralyzed and I think his vision is affected some. But let me tell you...I wasn't sure I would get to actually see him...I am SO thankful he and his mom let me in. Seeing him was so encouraging. He is ready for the fight. He knows God has got it, he knows praying is all we can do and he is very confident in his doctor. In fact, she told him she is merely the doctor...she realizes she's not the miracle worker, God is. How awesome is that?

Please lift him, his parents, his wife and 3 year old up. They will be staying in an apartment down in Houston and are taking turns staying the night with Tim. I will update on here as I find out about the surgery.

And lastly, but not least...please, please, please lift up my sweet friend Christi. Her dad left MD Anderson on Thursday and they have told the family that there is nothing else they can really do for him. His mouth sores are really bothering him (From the treatment) and Christi is...well, how I would be if I had that news. I would love it if any of you could hop over to HER BLOG and just leave a quick comment letting her know you are praying. Please.

Again, I'll post updates as I get them.

No comments: